Saturday, September 3, 2011

Fewer Low.



75th of Hunter's Moon, Ava. 719

I arrived in Erdwal two days ago.  As distasteful as it may have been, I chose to use subterfuge to gain entrance to the town.  Pitre's letters suggested that he had been accosted by thieves upon entrance; I therefore chose to enter on foot, wearing my tabard alone.  To the complacent eye, I appeared to be a simple pilgrim or humble farmer, which is precisely the effect I wished to generate.

I was not disappointed. 

The light of law has too many shadows in this town.  No sooner had I entered that I was stopped by some grimy men wearing ragged uniforms that suggested their original owners had no further need for them. 

I knew their greed would be my ally, so I had fixed a large pack to carry over my shoulder.  Sure enough, this made me quite a target.  They even abandoned their pilfering of a young woman to set their sights on me!  Little victories such as this help feed my hungry soul.

"Halt!" their leader cried out to me.  "Surrender your parcels for inspection!"

I stopped and said nothing.  My silence was a noose that would trap them.  The others surrounded me, and as their leader reached for my kit, I stiffened.  This caused a ripple of fear to course through them, quickly hidden by their nervous laughter.  These rogues were clearly not used to resistance.

"Fine.  To the gaol with this one!"  This is what I wanted; to lure them away from their familiar ground.  I was grabbed by both elbows and pushed down a nearby alleyway.  This was my chance.

Pulling the hidden sword from my robes, I rained blow after blow of righteous fury upon them.  I shall write more tomorrow.  Tonight I shall spend in prayer.

Raben

1 comment: